Sunday, April 19, 2009

First Class Experience

This is a great story, just under rotten circumstances. Easter weekend my sister and I took last minute flights to Washington because my grandma was close to passing away and we wanted to have a chance to say goodbye. I'm not going to go into any more detail than that right now other than she past away a week later. But no more tears and on to the good stuff.
So my sister and I bought these last minute flights and rushed off to the airport. This was my sister's first time flying with assigned seats (we're generally Southwest girls) and I was being the helpful big sister that I am and taking the lead onto the plane. Well, I went to turn right and find my seat, 3C, and found myself in for a surprise. I looked up at the seat numbers and the first number I saw was 20C. 20C? What the heck happened to 3C? I stood there for a second or two longer and finally had to ask the flight attendant what happened to 3C? She politely pointed and directed me to the left. That's right...to the left. When I looked up and saw first class I thought there was some big mistake...How on earth did I end up with a first class ticket? I checked the name...yep, Alison Merritt. I checked the seat number again...yep, 3C. That was me! So I sit down and my sister sits down behind me. Oddly enough, I just couldn't get comfortable. Not because the seat wasn't nice and big and plush, but because I still didn't think I belonged up there. I didn't know what to do with myself honestly. :) My sister ended up sitting next to this cute, 29 year old military guy and just got her flirt on all the way to Seattle. I on the other hand ended up with this spoiled rotten, teenage boy next to me who had the audacity to wake me up to point out the train we were flying over, read over my shoulder out of my National Physical Therapy Exam prep book...aloud, and climb all over me to get out of his seat and to the bathroom. The flight is only 1:45 long! HOLD IT!
Anyways, besides that little blemish, my first class experience was a hoot! Did you know they actually serve your drinks in real glasses in first class?? Its nice. And that beverages are ENDLESS! And the snacks are endless too! And I'm not talking about packages of peanuts either...I had an entire Twix bar and a BANANA! Yes, a banana, and I was sooooo excited about it! And it just kept getting better because they played an episode of The Office too!! Which worked out perfectly because I just put in the FREE earphones, turned up the volume, and drowned out the unappreciated noise coming from the seat next to me. I had to be careful not to laugh out too loudly :) . The pillow and blanket were a nice touch too. I would have cuddled up and slept, like I always tend to do on my flights, but I didn't want to waste a minute of my first class experience once I figured out how everything worked.
So that was my little taste of what first class feels like and I think I could get very used to that :)
Don't get me wrong, I love the coach experience...crowded walkways, jam packed overhead bins, the infamous "middle seat", the guy whose body flows out of the middle seat and into yours, the package of stale peanuts and the plastic cup so full of ice you only get two sips of sprite out of it, and the bump I get on my head everytime I attempt to stand up and exit the plane from the overhead storage bin. I mean honestly, who doesn't love all of that!

Proof Katie and I sat up in first class: Check out the REAL glass and FREE earphones!

No comments:

Post a Comment